Monday, August 2, 2010

My toughest editing assignment yet

Today I started to edit a journal article that will be submitted to five medical journals. (I'll explain simultaneous submissions to the author.) The journals all have different submission guidelines and different reference styles, different rules about abbreviated journal titles in the references, modified Vancouver rules, etc. I've never used the American Medical Association style. I had to Google examples and depend on the guidelines for almost everything. I read some articles from those journals and was just amazed at the ratio of passive voice to active voice, definitely not what I usually see. I may need to create five versions of the journal article manuscript, one file for each targeted journal. Oh, my. I think targeting more than one journal is overkill, though.

I'm surrounded by brilliant people, people who change the world with their words. Works for me.

My brain got a tremendous workout today. I'm going to curl up with The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand and try to slow down a little before I go to sleep. Why yes, I am a book nerd.

No comments: